Selected Grade 11 learners were afforded the opportunity to attend a Techno-Buzz week during the first week of the June school holidays. Mr Beyers, our head of Mechanical Technology, transported the learners to Bellville from Pinelands to ensure that they benefit from this exciting experience.
During this week (18th to 21st June), learners were treated to hands-on experiences in engineering. Festo, Siemens, University of Stellenbosch and Northlink College provided pertinent insights to the working of different mechanical engineering systems, electrical engineering systems and chemical engineering. Some of the activities include,
- Learners programmed a wheeled robot to track a line,
- Pneumatic systems and controls were employed to activate a robotic arm,
- A computer controlled fish was assembled and raced in water while it was computer-controlled by the learners,
- Chemical experiments were fun and exiting as shown in the gallery below and furthermore,
- Learners also worked on hydraulic systems, computer programming and game design.
Overall, this was an exiting and well presented week that should prove to be life changing event for the learners. We thank the WCED and its partners for this phenomenal opportunity. 😀